Note: pictures will not be displayed properly if your display resolution is not at least 1280x960

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Unexpected break in the weather so up to the MiddleSchool

Tuesday December 30th

Today I wasn't planning on detecting. It was colder (only a high in the upper 30's) but sunny with little wind. So when I made up my mind at 3:10 to go for an hour I was unprepared – My Minelab and stuff were in the trunk of the Taurus which Marilyn had. As luck would have it she picked up her cell phone when I called her and found out she was at Drug Mart - right on the way to the site I wanted to detect.

The site is an old school site that has a new school built on it. The ballfields you can find a zinc penny at 8 inches and a wheat penny at 2 inches.

Photobucket

Since there was some guys playing tennis (yes in 37 degree weather) I decided to start in the main field. I passed on digging some shallow penny type signals. Then I get a very sweet sounding signal that was deep. I am thinking silver all the way but it turns out to be one of those good luck tokens. Oh well, still kinda cool. It does have some funny writing on it. So I hunted the area more but wasn’t getting many good signals. By now the guys playing tennis must have gotten cold because they were gone. So I make my way over to the only part of this site that has original ground:

Photobucket

This is where I get a crappy deeper signal. I dig the plug, stick the probe down and nothing. Get up and recheck with the detector and the signal is there but off about 4 inches. Dig again and out pops a Merc! Very nice. Not more than 5 feet from it I get another iffy signal that I dig only because I found the Merc nearby. Sure enough – another silver coin that turned out to be a rosie.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The total for the hunt:

Photobucket

No comments: