Note: pictures will not be displayed properly if your display resolution is not at least 1280x960

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Road trip to the old 1800s campground

Photobucket

It’s been a while since Dan and I made the trip out to an old campground (1818) in southeastern Ohio. When I told my son Nate where we were going on Saturday he told told me “I’m in!”

The weather turned out to be nice. Dan had his mind made up he was going to go looking for the old 1800’s foundation on the Yoder property. Here he is with his GPS plotting his course:


Photobucket

It was very high up on a hill and I last I remembered the vegetation was very dense. I stayed back and instead hunted the steep hill that was at one time cleared and now somewhat overgrown.

Photobucket

While I worked the hill Nate was down below.

Photobucket

It wasn’t but about 10-15 minutes and the first coin I dig is a silver half dollar!

Photobucket

I went down and told Nate and it wasn’t too long before he joined me on the hill. I found some more silver and then needed a break from the hill. I went down, had some lunch and hunted around the old houses.

Photobucket

It was nice to find this 1900 Indian Head penny in such nice shape.


Photobucket

After a couple hours Dan came back and told us he couldn’t find the old foundation. We told him what we found and he started hunting the hill.

Photobucket

Overall it was a very enjoyable day with some decent finds. I came home with five silver coins, an IH, Buffalo Nickel and misc stuff.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Nate found a couple Mercury dimes, four Indian head pennies and a couple war nickels.

One other interesting find I “let go” was this salamander.

Photobucket